HONOLULU (KHON2) — It’s some heartbreaking news for student-athletes. Multiple coaches from the OIA confirmed to KHON2 sports director Rob Demello that the league plans to make a formal announcement cancelling the 11-different sports as early as Tuesday, Jan. 5.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
School administrators began informing departments of the looming-decision amid challenges surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Now, beyond football, air riflery, bowling, cheerleading, cross country, girls volleyball, basketball, canoe paddling, soccer, swimming and diving, and wrestling are the programs that are affected.
Spring sports have yet to be determined.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Former HPD negotiator sheds light on barricade situations
- Locked down patrons thankful to be released after chaos in Kahala
- Hideki Matsuyama wins the Masters to become first Japanese major champion
- Upper-level system brings heavy downpours, thunderstorms and snow
- What happens when women run the economy? We’re about to find out