HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Board of Water Supply (BWS) will close two westbound lanes of Moanalua Freeway near the Fort Shafter exit at 10 p.m. Friday, June 18 through the weekend, to fix a 42-inch water main break in the area.
The Fort Shafter/Ahua Street exit will be closed.
BWS officials said the main break occurred near the Fort Shafter/Ahua Street exit around 2:53 p.m.
Officials said the water main appears to have been damaged by a contractor who was working in the area. The following traffic control measures are scheduled to be in effect:
- Expect 24/7 lane closures on the Moanalua Freeway from the H-1 Freeway split until the Fort Shafter on-ramp in the westbound direction
- On Sunday, June 20, two right, westbound lanes will be closed all day through Monday morning.
- Starting Monday, June 21, weekday closure of one right westbound lane from 4:00 a.m. through10:00 p.m. This will allow an additional open lane for weekday, daytime traffic.
- From 10:00 p.m. through 4:00 a.m., weekday closure of two right westbound lanes from the H‐1 split.
- There will be signage and cones to direct drivers.
- The Fort Shafter / Ahua Street exit will remain closed 24/7 until repairs are completed.
BWS crews are coordinating with Department of Transportation officials and police to minimize traffic impacts to motorists.