HONOLULU (KHON2) — With Hurricane Douglas quickly approaching the islands, what impacts will wind shear have on it? What is wind shear?
Wind shear is the difference in wind speed or direction over a fairly short distance in the atmosphere. It is typically described as either vertical or horizontal.
Wind shear can make or break a single tropical storm.
Vertical wind shear helps to weaken hurricanes.
Closer to Maui County and Oahu is where we start to see the stronger wind shear.
WEATHER STORIES ON KHON2
- Light trades will eventually be replaced with variables
- Light trade winds into new week
- Incoming moisture in increase showers by Sunday evening
- Light and variable winds return Sunday
- Trade winds through Saturday, will start to weaken on Sunday