HONOLULU (KHON2) — Douglas has slightly weakened to a category 3 hurricane over night, according to the Central Pacific Hurricane Center’s 5 a.m. update.
Douglas is moving toward the west-northwest near 18 mph.
Maximum sustained winds are near 120 mph, with higher gusts.
Gradual weakening is expected to continue Friday through the weekend.
However, Douglas is still forecast to be near hurricane strength as it approaches the eastern end of the Hawaiian Island chain late Saturday night or Sunday.
Visit KHON’s storm preparation page here.
LATEST WEATHER STORIES
- Incoming cold front to bring heavy rain and thunderstorms
- High surf warning in effect until 6 p.m. Sunday, surf will be 40 to 50 feet along north facing shores
- Heavy rain possible for the islands starting late Sunday
- Massive surf of 40 to 50 feet to impact north shores Saturday; high surf warning for north, west shores
- Light winds and mostly dry conditions to kick off the weekend