HONOLULU (KHON2) — Hurricane Douglas has now entered the Central Pacific, according to the Central Pacific Hurricane Center.
It is forecast as a category 3 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds near 120 mph.
Gradual weakening is expected to continue Friday through the weekend.
However, Douglas is still forecast to be near hurricane strength as it approaches the eastern end of the Hawaiian Island chain late Saturday night or Sunday.
Visit KHON’s storm preparation page here.
LATEST WEATHER STORIES
- Tropical moisture to drift over the islands, potential heavy showers
- Breezy winds will stick around thru extended forecast
- No tsunami threat to Hawaii after 7.3 magnitude earthquake hits South Shetland Islands
- Strong winds forecast for the islands through early next week
- Strong and gusty trade winds expected for the weekend