HONOLULU, Hawaii (KHON2) – An asteroid is expected to make a close pass of Earth Monday.
The asteroid named “2020 OO1” was discovered by a telescope atop Haleakala on July 20th.
Its diameter is about the length of two school buses and is similar in size to the asteroid that exploded in the atmosphere above Russia in 2013.
At its closest point on Monday, it will be only about 1.7 times the distance of the moon
Experts say the public doesn’t have much to worry about. They’ve pinned down the asteroid’s orbit and it has a tiny probability of hitting Earth in the year 2087.
Latest stories on KHON2
- Driver licensing center and satellite city hall to reopen on O’ahu
- Anahola fire displaces family
- Large school of fish attracts sharks to Waikiki
- Smiles for Seniors: Community delivers warm greetings to Palolo Chinese Home
- President Trump sets date to announce SCOTUS pick as GOP locks in votes needed to confirm nominee