HONOLULU – The Timmy Chang “Braddahhood” era begins this week as the University of Hawai’i football team hosts Vanderbilt of the Southeastern Conference, Saturday, Aug. 27 at Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex in the 2022 season opener. Kick-off is 4:30 p.m., and the game will be nationally televised on CBS Sports Network. Chang, the former NCAA all-time passing leader, begins his inaugural season as head coach after taking over his alma mater in January.
GAME THEME vs. VANDERBILT – EVERYTHING GREEN
SPECIAL PRE-GAME CONCERT – THE GREEN
A pre-game concert featuring popular reggae band “The Green” will help kickoff the 2022 University of Hawai’i football season! The pre-game concert begins at 2:30 p.m. at SimpliFi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center and is FREE to those with a UH-Vanderbilt game ticket.
- Time: 2:30 p.m. (Arena gates open at 1:30 p.m.)
- Where: SimpliFi Arena at Stan Sheriff Center
- Seating is general admission
- Parking gates open at 12:30 p.m.
- FREE admission with a UH-Vanderbilt game ticket
- Your game ticket will be scanned at the SimpliFi Arena entrance
- Food and beverages will be sold inside SimpliFi Arena
- No re-entry into the concert
PROMOTIONS & GIVEAWAYS
Bank of Hawaii is the game sponsor of the home football opener “Everything Green” and will award over 42,000 Hawaiian Airlines Miles during the game. 2,000 light sticks will be distributed to fans showing their Bank of Hawaii credit or debit card at the Bank of Hawaii booth behind the Ewa end zone.
- First 3,000 fans receive a UH Football card, presented by Waikiki Malia by Outrigger, with a chance to redeem for a special prize
- Free Souvenir Cards and Schedule Cards will be available for fans
- Farmers T-shirts will be tossed into the stands between the first and second quarters
- A lucky student will compete in the “Raising Cane’s Quarterback Challenge for a chance to win Raising Cane’s for a year
- When the ‘Bows score two touchdowns, you win two free tacos from Jack in the Box. Bring your game tickets to redeem the offer! Two touchdowns today, two tacos tomorrow. Let’s go Bows!
FAN COLOR SCHEME FOR THIS GAME: GREEN-OUT
Fans are encouraged to show their school spirit with the Hawaiʻi Athletics fan color scheme guide (PDF) for every regular season home football game. The color scheme for Saturday’s season-opener is a “Green-Out” and fans are encouraged to wear Green.
|HAWAI’I (0-0, 0-0 MW) vs. VANDERBILT (0-0, 0-0 SEC)|
|Date | Time||Saturday, Aug. 27, 2022 | 4:30 p.m. HT|
|Location | Stadium||Honolulu, O’ahu | Clarence T.C. Ching Complex (9,346)|
|Game Day Information||Click here for the latest information about tickets, parking, food & beverage, activities and more.|
|Television||CBS Sports Network. Rich Walz (play-by-play), Aaron Taylor (analyst), and Sherree Burruss (sideline).|
|Radio||ESPN Honolulu (1420AM/92.7FM). John Veneri (play-by-play), Mark Veneri (analyst), and Hunter Hughes (sideline). KRKH (Maui), KPUA (Hawai’i Island), and KTOH (Kaua’i). Josh Pacheco and Arnold Martinez hosts “The Countdown To Kickoff” at 2:30 p.m. HT.|
|Streaming Audio||ESPNHonolulu.com & Sideline Hawaii app|
|Game Notes||Hawai’i (PDF) | Vanderbilt | Mountain West (PDF)|
|Digital Program||Rainbow Warriors Weekly|
|Social Media||@HawaiiFootball | #HawaiiFB | @RainbowWarriorsFootball | Facebook|
HEAD COACH TIMMY CHANG
Overall record: 0-0 (1st season)
At Hawai’i: 0-0 (1st season)
SERIES VS VANDERBILT
Series Information: First Meeting
- Hawai’i and Vanderbilt will be meeting for the first time on the football field.
- This season marks the sixth time UH will play in Week 0 and second time it is hosting a Week 0 game. UH has a 3-2 mark in Week 0 which includes a home win over Arizona (45-38) in 2019.
- UH is playing an SEC team for the first time since losing at Florida in the 2008 season opener. UH also closed out the 2007 season with a loss to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.
- The last time UH hosted and defeated an SEC team was against Alabama in 2003 (37-29) at Aloha Stadium.
- UH is 3-9-1 all-time against current SEC teams, including a 3-5-1 record at home.
- Hawai’i is 63-37-5 (.624) all-time in season openers, with wins in four of the last five since 2017 and five of seven since 2015.
- UH has won seven straight home openers with the last loss coming against No. 25 Washington (17-16) in 2014.
- Hawai’i has won its last three home games against Power 5 opponents, beating Arizona and Oregon State in 2019 and Colorado in 2015. The last loss came against Oregon State in 2014.
- Record-setting quarterback Timmy Chang was named the 25th head coach in program history on Jan. 22, 2022, returning to his alma mater where he set the NCAA’s all-time passing (17,072) and total offense (16,910) records from 2000-04.
- Chang is looking to become the 11th head coach to win in his UH debut and the fifth to do so since the program began playing an all-collegiate schedule in 1966.
- Entering the second season playing in a retrofitted Clarence T.C. Ching Complex, the Rainbow Warriors will play a home opener in front of fans for the first time since the 2019 season. Last year marked UH’s first season playing on campus in the program’s 106-year history.
- UH’s offensive line unit is among the most experienced in the country, ranking third nationally in number of starts returning with 109, trailing only Pitt (130) and UTSA (118).
- Hawai’i enters the season with 51 newcomers on the roster, including 28 transfers, 16 of which came from Power 5 schools.
- UH’s all-time record in the month of August is 7-8 (Division I era).
- UH has won its last seven non-conference home games with its last loss to Louisiana Tech in the 2018 Hawai’i Bowl.