TAMPA, Fla (WFLA) – Tampa police arrested more than 60 people Tuesday evening after a protest was broken up just before midnight.
Hundreds of people had protested peacefully in downtown Tampa, marching from City Hall then down Kennedy Blvd.
At some point, police began breaking up the protest, sending people running through downtown. It’s still unclear what prompted police to make the crowd disperse.
A line of protesters at Joe Chillura Park was seen being taken into custody. Police said they ended up arresting more than 60 people for civil unrest and unlawful assembly.
We’re working to figure out what caused police to break up the protest on Tuesday.
- The New Normal: Car washes adapt to keep staff and drivers safe during pandemic
- Tropical Storm Cristina forms in the East Pacific far from the islands
- State facing massive projected budget shortfalls, increasing to $6.4 billion in 2026
- DOE launches new online student bus pass application and payment option
- ACLU of Hawaii hosts virtual Honolulu prosecutor candidate forum