Unattended candle may have caused Hilo fire

News

The Hawaii County Fire Dept. dealt with a house fire in Hilo Thursday night that may have been started by a candle.

Firefighters arrived at the Ainako Avenue house at 9:12 p.m. to find flames coming out of the back bedroom windows of a single story, three bedroom-two bath, dwelling. The fire was out by 9:30 p.m.

All occupants of the residence, a 32-year-old woman and two children, were able to escape the blaze.

The owner of the house told a fire official that the cause of the fire may have been an unattended citronella candle being burned to prevent mosquitoes.

The fire is under investigation.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories