A 17-year-old accused of murdering a U.S. Marine in Waikiki has pleaded not guilty.
Nicolas E. Torres, also known as Nicholas Earl Torres, is being tried as an adult on a second-degree murder charge for the death of Sgt. William M. Brown, 23.
On Oct. 21, 2017, police say Torres was with a group of other teenagers when they got into a fight with the Kaneohe-based Marine and his friend at the corner of Kalakaua and Royal Hawaiian avenues.
Torres was 16 years old at the time.
According to court documents, Torres had showed his friends a knife prior to the fight, and let one of his friends hold it.
When the fight broke out, documents say Torres told his friend to stab Brown and, when his friend hesitated, police claim Torres grabbed the knife and stabbed Brown himself.
Surveillance cameras allegedly showed Torres bending down near a storm drain about a block from the scene, and that’s where the weapon was later recovered.
His attorney previously told KHON2 that Torres did not start the fight, but came to the defense of his then-girlfriend. He is unsure which teen stabbed Brown.
Torres remains in custody at a juvenile detention center, unable to post $500,000 bail.
His trial is scheduled for the week of Dec. 10 before Judge Paul Wong.