HONOLULU (KHON2) — Applicants picked in a lottery for Section 8 Housing received their Housing Choice Vouchers on Nov. 21 at a drive-through event hosted by the Hawaii Public Housing Authority (HPHA).
The lottery system had to be done twice, due to what the HPHA calls duplicate and fraudulent applications in the first lottery.
About 10,000 people applied and 750 families — a new record — were served on Nov. 21.
The executive director of HPHA says the record number of vouchers given out is because of funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Applicants were notified on Nov. 19 if they were selected in the lottery.
There will be another drive-thru event held on Nov. 22 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Trade winds ease off to make way for light and variables
- Testing incoming travelers on Big Island may end this year if there’s no funding
- After several delays, Kealohas to be sentenced Monday
- Potential thunderstorms for east end of state
- Decision anticipated soon on Hawaii football’s game against San Jose State