Police have opened an investigation after a Waipahu High School student was allegedly attacked on her way to school.

We are not revealing her identity because she is a minor and her attackers have not been caught.

It was supposed to be a typical morning for the 17-year-old.

She was walking out of the 7-Eleven store on Farrington Highway at about 6:30 a.m. Wednesday and heading toward a bus stop. She said all of a sudden, a group of males attacked her.

“Then they pulled me in the alley and the two boys were holding me, my hands behind my back and one was just punching me in the face and the other two just took my money and they left,” said the victim.

“She was so afraid that she didn’t even scream. She just took the blows and just cried. She was in fear. Her instincts was just to try and keep calm and maybe they’ll stop and go away. She was afraid she was gonna get more harm, be stabbed or more worse,” said her mother, Kelly.

The victim says the five male suspects were wearing blue-and-red bandanas to cover their faces and black shirts. They all got away.

The victim didn’t report the incident until hours after it occurred, when she alerted her school counselor. But the response she got from school officials was upsetting.

“I was just scared,” said the victim. “They told me they can’t do anything about it because it happened outside of school. They can only do something if I feel threatened in school.”

“How did that make you feel?” asked KHON2.

“It made me feel really upset. Like my daughter wasn’t one of their students or important. I want the whole school and people in the area to know what’s going on and try to help prevent and do the buddy system,” said Kelly.

KHON2 wanted to know how the school handles these types of situations. A vice principal told us off-camera that because the incident occurred off campus, it’s out of their hands.

A Department of Education spokesperson says student safety is their main concern, but that schools cannot take responsibility for incidents that occur in the community.

While this has been a traumatic experience, the victim says she has learned from this.

“Not to go anywhere by yourself and call out for help if you’re in trouble and report things right away,” said the victim.

Police have opened a kidnapping and robbery investigation. So far, no arrests have been made.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call police.