Former University of Hawai’i football players Alapati “Al” Noga and Falaniko “Niko” Noga were among a group of 12 finalists for the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Class of 2019.
The Noga brothers were also finalists for the Class of 2017 and ’18.
The finalists were selected from a field of over 100 nominations by the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee. The Selection Committee and all Hall of Fame Inductees will vote in the coming weeks to select the individuals who will be inducted as the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Class of 2019.
Four inductees will be announced on October 24, 2018. They will be honored during the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Weekend and during the Polynesian Bowl on January 18 & 19, 2019.
Al and Niko Noga were inducted jointly into UH’s Circle of Honor in the Class of 2013. Niko was a four-time all-Western Athletic Conference selection and two-time honorable mention Associated Press All-American. Al was UH’s first AP first-team All-American and Heisman Trophy candidate in 1986.
The Selection Committee includes Coaches Dick Tomey (Chairman), Ron McBride and Dick Vermeil, past NFL player and Inaugural Inductee Olin Kreutz, past NFLPA President and Inaugural Inductee Kevin Mawae, former NFL Player and Class of 2015 Inductee Ray Schoenke, ESPN Sportscaster Neil Everett, NFL Network writer and commentator Steve Wyche, and Honolulu Sportscaster Robert Kekaula.
Below is a list of the Class of 2019 Finalists…
- Tony Banks (QB) Michigan State, Pro: NFL (STL, BAL, DAL, WAS, HOU) 10 years, Samoan ancestry
- David Dixon (G) Arizona State, Pro: (MIN) 13 years, Maori ancestry
- Malcom Floyd (WR) Wyoming; Pro (SAN) 10 years, Samoan ancestry
- Chris Kemoeatu (G) Utah; Pro (PIT) 7 years, Tongan ancestry
- Edwin Mulitalo (G) Arizona; Pro (BAL, DET) 10 years, Samoan ancestry
- Alapati “Al” Noga (DL) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (MIN, WAS, IND) 7 years, Samoan ancestry
- Falaniko “Niko” Noga (LB) Hawai’i, Pro: NFL (AZ, DET) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Joe Fagaone Salave’a (DL) Arizona, Pro: NFL (TEN, BAL, SD, WAS) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Dan Saleaumua (DT) Arizona State, Pro: NFL (DET, KC, SEA) 12 years, Samoan ancestry
- Mosiula Mea’alofa “Lofa” Tatupu (LB) USC, Pro: NFL (SEA) 6 years, Samoan ancestry
- Marques Tavita Tuiasosopo (QB) Washington, Pro: NFL (OAK, NYJ) 8 years, Samoan ancestry
- Charlie Wedemeyer, Former Head Football Coach, Los Gatos High School (CA), Hawaiian ancestry
About the Polynesian Football Hall of Fame: The Polynesian Football Hall of Fame honors Polynesia’s greatest players, coaches and contributors. Its permanent home is located at the Polynesian Cultural Center (O`ahu) and was established in 2013 by Super Bowl Champions Jesse Sapolu and Ma`a Tanuvasa. Other board members include Troy Polamalu, Vai Sikahema, June Jones and Reno Mahe. www.PolynesianFootballHOF.org.