Man critically injured after electrical mishap in Waikiki condo

News
waikiki-skytower-condo-fire_173919

A man was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday in an electrical mishap at a Waikiki condominium.

It happened at around 11:20 a.m. at Waikiki Skytower on Cleghorn Street.

Bernice Shea, the building’s resident manager told KHON2 she heard a large bang from her office in the lobby and saw that the fire alarm had gone off on the 9th floor.

“It was someone that lives here,” she said. “He was drilling to put a lock box for his apartment, I’m assuming in the electrical room. Obviously he got shocked really bad.”

The Honolulu Fire Department said the man touched off a power line with his drill which triggered an arc flash and his clothes caught on fire.

According to Emergency Medical Services, the 48-year-old suffered burns to roughly 45 percent of his upper body.

Paramedics also treated a second person who apparently suffered from smoke inhalation, but did not need to be hospitalized. Shea said part of the building was filled with smoke.

Fire officials estimate the damage at $50,000.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories