HONOLULU (KHON2) - The Honolulu Fire Department is looking into what caused a Salt Lake home to go up in flames.
The two-alarm fire broke out at 9:23 a.m. Friday in a single-story duplex at 3602 Salt Lake Boulevard.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke emanating from the front of the home.
Due to windy conditions, the entire duplex became fully involved in the fire, officials said.
Four people - two men, a woman, and a child - were home at the time and were able to get out safely.
"I smelled smoke. I thought it was our house, so I checked and I smelled it again," said resident Skye Yee-Autele. "I went look in my mom's room, look in the back. I smelled it, smelled it, and I looked. I was like, the house is burning. I called my mom right away. She told me to go outside. When I look outside, the house is burning, the cords, the electric is coming down. I got scared, and thankfully I never die today."
One of the men requested medical attention, but ultimately refused treatment, according to fire officials.
The fire was brought under control at 10:01 a.m. and was fully extinguished by 11:17 a.m.
Salt Lake Boulevard was closed between Wanaka Street and Likini Place so crews could extinguish the blaze.
Fire damages are estimated at $483,200 to the structure and $95,000 to the contents. Neighboring structures also sustained fire damages estimated at $50,000.