HONOLULU (KHON2) - The Honolulu Department of Environmental Services reminds residents that refuse collection workers will not be collecting trash, recyclables or green waste on Christmas Day, December 25, and New Year's Day, Jan. 1.
These are the only two holidays observed by ENV refuse workers.
- Communities using the 3-cart collection system, with once-a-week refuse and once-a-week recycling pickup, where the refuse (gray cart) day falls on a Tuesday, are to leave their carts curbside until serviced, usually within two days.
- Recycling days that fall on these holidays (Tuesday) will not be made up.
- The city asks that you hold mixed recyclables (blue cart) and green waste (green cart) until the next scheduled pickup date.
- Residents on twice-a-week manual refuse collection, please hold your items until the next scheduled pickup date.
- Bulky collection will continue on the days following the holidays. Since bulky pickup is conducted over a 3-4 day period in each sector, the collection crews will make up the missed holiday on the other days.
All convenience centers, transfer stations, H-POWER and Waimanalo Gulch Sanitary Landfill will be closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
All of these facilities will reopen December 26, and January 2, 2019.