Local News

Fugitive wanted for attempted murder killed by Maui Police

WAILUKU (KHON2) - Maui Police said on Sunday at about 10:35a.m., officers observed a stolen red Toyota Tacoma being driven by Kaulana "Toji" Reinhardt. Reinhardt was wanted for numerous outstanding arrest warrants to include one for attempted murder in the first degree with a bail set at $1,000,000.

Police said officers attempted to initiate a traffic stop on the truck but Reinhardt refused to stop and a pursuit ensued. The pursuit continued and ended on Kaohu Street at Market Street in Wailuku. 

Police said as two officers attempted to apprehend Reinhardt, he pulled out a handgun and shots were exchanged and Reinhardt was hit. The officers administered CPR until medical personnel arrived.

Reinhardt was transported to the Maui Memorial Medical Center where he later died.

One officer sustained minor injuries that did not require medical treatment. No other officers or bystanders were hurt in this incident.

According to the Maui Police Department, the officers involved had three and fifteen years of experience, respectively. Both officers have been placed on administrative leave which is procedure in these types of investigation.

Adiel Cline was working at Salon 253 on Market Street when around 10:45 a.m., she heard sirens speeding past her business. 

"You could hear them and then you heard a 'whoosh,' like the whole salon, you could hear the pressure of the wind go by," Cline said. 

She tells KHON2 she believes the speeding vehicles were going at least 100 miles per hour.

She went outside to see what was going on. 

"I literally looked out to the left and the right and I looked to the right and I saw police cars and then I heard, this makes me shake, but I heard like six gun fires like shots like pop pop pop, and I've never heard gunfire before so I didn't really know what it was," Cline said. 

Police shut down Kaohu Street and Market Street shortly after.

They posted on their Facebook page that they were investigating an officer involved shooting. 

Cline said she locked the salon door unaware of what was happening.

After about 30 minutes, she walked outside to see crime scene tape blocking off the area.

She says this doesn't happen in their neighborhood.

"I'm glad we're all safe, just really thankful that no one else got hurt," she said. 

Police say no officers or bystanders were injured. However witnesses did see someone being taken away in an ambulance.

Latest Local News