New footage released of what caused airport security scare

Local News

New video released by the Dept. Of Transportation shows the smoking baggage from Tuesday’s security scare at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport.

Federal officials say that an external battery charger inside carry-on luggage malfunctioned, creating a heating source. 

It caused smoke and popping sounds, erupting chaos.

Apparently, some travelers thought there was an active shooter situation and several ran into the sterile area without being screened.

Officials tell us that the reports of an active shooter are unfounded.

The Department of Transportation held a joint news conference to address questions on Wednesday, June 19, and included how information was being shared with passengers. 

“The public must evacuate the area immediately,” said Tim Sakahara of the Department of Transportation. “Please follow the instructions of airport personnel. Every effort is being made to return to normal operations as soon as possible. That was one that was on loop going throughout the terminal. On that note though, I would say one of the things that is gonna be in our after action reports and meetings is talking about communications. Certainly when everyone was waiting along the curbside. As officials were working within the sterile area of the terminal, it is true that it is very difficult to hear from the curbside. So, that is something we’re gonna take and see if we can improve upon that.”

Both the Sherriff’s and Fire Departments responded to Terminal 2 where the incident occurred. Travelers were held at Terminal 2 while officials responded. The bridge between Terminals 1 and 2 was closed which helped to maintain the sterility of Terminal 1, whose flights continued to operate normally.

“All those flights that were in the process of boarding were still continuing to board and left. Immediately following this, once the checkpoint was closed and they started exiting, no more flights were taking off from Terminal 2,” said Tim Sakahara, Department of Transportation spokesperson.

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials made the decision to re-screen everyone in Terminal 2 for security reasons. All passengers were moved out of Terminal 2 and into the lobby to wait for re-screening.

The Transportation Security Administration said in an updated statement: 

“TSA screening operations at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport have returned to normal following Tuesday evening’s evacuation and re-screening of travelers departing Terminal 2. Around 2:10 p.m. HST Tuesday, a laptop in a traveler’s carry-on luggage overheated and emitted smoke in the security checkpoint. This created confusion and some travelers breached the security checkpoint by running into the sterile area of the airport without being screened.


Following the breach and subsequent evacuation, TSA conducted a security sweep of the airport and aircraft using explosive detection canines. Around 6 p.m., TSA reopened the security checkpoints in Terminal 2. TSA extended the shifts of on-duty TSA officers to ensure security lanes were staffed and, by 9 p.m. HST, all TSA screening operations at all checkpoints had returned to normal.

Security screening restarted around 6 p.m.

All flights that were to depart Terminal 2 were delayed due to the scare.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.