Local News

Man shot, killed during standoff with police on Oahu's North Shore

HONOLULU (KHON2) - Honolulu police shot and killed a man after a standoff that began Friday at 6 p.m.

It happened at a home on Kapuai Place in Sunset Beach on Oahu's North Shore.

Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard said that officers responded to an argument call involving an agitated 32-year-old man. The officers were able to calm him down and they left the scene at 8 p.m.

Police received another call involving the same individual. When the officers arrived, the suspect appeared agitated and delusional.

He also began threatening violence to his neighbors.

Because of the violent threats and his behavior, the police psychologist was contacted and a mental health evaluation was approved.

The suspect was resistant and refuse to come out.

HPD's Specialized Services Division was then notified of the possible barricade situation, and set up a command post at Ted's Bakery.

At one point, police say the suspect came to the open patio door with a knife and refused to drop the weapon.

Patrol officers then deployed a TASER on the suspect, which was ineffective.

The suspect then went back into the house and refused to come out. He was seen with numerous knives and a bow and arrow.

The suspect continued to threaten violence to neighbors and himself while carrying weapons around the house.

Residents said they could hear police trying to calm the man down.

"You could hear them yelling telling him to get out the house, they wanted to do it peacefully," Bay Anderson said. Anderson lives less than a hundred yards from the home.

SSD then attempted to extricate the suspect by deploying tear gas, but it was also ineffective.

The suspect Immediately came to the door making threats. He exited the house armed with a bow and arrow at the ready, so police moved in and the suspect responded by trying to re-enter the house.

He ignored repeated commands to stop.

A K9 unit was then deployed.

"You could like hear (police) running around the house and like screaming and telling the dog to get him," explained Anderson. "And then that's when we heard the dog crying. That's when I think the dog got stabbed."

Ballard confirmed the man stabbed the K-9 with an arrow.

Ballard said fearing for the safety of the officers and the K9, an officer fired three rounds, all striking the suspect.

Immediate medical attention was given to the suspect at the scene, and he was taken to Kahuku Hospital in critical condition where he was pronounced dead.

The dog, Zero, was also taken to a hospital where he went into surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.

Ballard said Zero was wearing a vest and she believes that it helped save his life.

The officer involved has 25 years of service and has been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Police have not identified the man that was shot pending the medical examiner's office report.

Latest Local News