Honolulu (KHON2) - This morning, at 8:21 a.m., the Honolulu Fire Department responded with 11 units staffed with 39 personnel to a building fire located at 92-6114 Puapake Street in Makakilo. The first unit arrived at 8:27 a.m. to find a two-story residence with smoke emanating from a second story window on the left side of the structure.
Personnel established command, secured a water source and commenced with firefighting operations to suppress the flames and prevent further fire spread. The fire was brought under control at 8:44 a.m. and extinguished at 8:51 a.m.
It was reported that a neighbor saw smoke coming from the rear of the home. He tried to alert the adult male and female residents but they were not home at the time of the fire.
4:24 P.M. UPDATE:
HFD Investigators have concluded their investigation and have determined that the fire was accidental. It was determined that the fire was accidentally caused due to an inadvertent activation of the cleaning mode feature with combustibles being stored inside of the oven. Fire damages are estimated at $80,000 to the structure and $40,000 to its contents. No injuries were reported for this incident.