Beginning Wednesday, June 1, daily entrance fees will increase at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Haleakala National Park.
The increase is part of a three-year incremental plan to meet national standards for parks with similar visitor amenities.
The fees will break down as follows:Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
The 2016 per-vehicle fee will change from $15 to $20 and the pass will remain valid for seven days. The per-person fee (the rate bicyclists and pedestrians pay) will increase from $8 to $10, and the motorcycle fee will increase from $10 to $15.
One significant modification to the new fee structure was based on public input. The annual Tri-Park Pass, considered by many as the kama’āina, or residents pass, will remain at the current rate of $25 for 2016, and will increase to $30 in 2017. Based on public input, the park proposed a $30 fee for the Tri-Park Pass, instead of the national standard of $50. The annual Tri-Park Pass is available to all visitors and allows unlimited entry for one year to three national parks: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Pu’uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park, and Haleakalā National Park.
New fees are also slated for all backcountry and front-country campsites, including Kulanaokuaiki Campground, and will be $10 per site per night. Backcountry campsites will have a stay limit of three consecutive nights, while the front-country campsites will have a stay limit of seven consecutive nights. Currently, camping is free, except at Nāmakanipaio Campground, which is managed by Hawai’i Volcanoes Lodge Company, LLC. The new camping permit fees are similar to other public camping fees statewide.
In addition, entrance fees will increase for commercial tour companies. Currently, road-based tour vans carrying one to six passengers pay a $25 base fee and $8 per person to enter the park. The commercial per-person entrance rates will increase to $10 on June 1; and $12 in 2017 and will remain at $12 through 2021. The base fee will not change. Non-road-based tour companies, i.e. hiking tour companies that are on trails more than touring the park by vehicle, don’t pay a base rate but their per-person entrance fees will increase under the proposed schedule.
Recreational entrance fees are not charged to persons under 16 years old, or holders of the Tri-Park, America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Senior, Access, or Military passes. These passes may be obtained at the park or online here.Haleakala National Park
The 2016 per-person fee will change from $8 to $10. The 2016 motorcycle fee will go from $10 to $15. The 2016 per-vehicle three-day pass will be raised from $15 to $20.
The cost of the Tri-Park Annual Pass will remain at the current rate of $25 in 2016. This pass is considered a local or kamaaina pass because it permits unlimited entry for one year to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, and Haleakala National Park.
In 2017, the cost of this pass will increase to $30.
The current National Park Service fee program began in 1997 and allows parks to retain 80 percent of monies collected. The remaining 20 percent goes into a fund to support park units where fees are not charged.
Since 1997, fee revenues have funded over $41.7 million in Haleakala National Park projects. Some ongoing work includes: native species restoration along the popular Pipiwai Trail in Kipahulu ($48,687); repairing and widening the Kuloa Point trail, which runs parallel to Oheo Gulch ($225,000); restoring trails throughout the park ($500,000 annually); reconfiguring the Headquarters Visitor Center entranceway ($50,000 in 2016); completing archeological surveys ($499,500 in 2010); controlling invasive species ($299,000 in 2013); and stabilization of silversword populations ($60,000 annually, 2012-13).