9 displaced after two-alarm fire destroys Waipahu home

Local News

Fire officials say a Waipahu home was completely destroyed in a two-alarm fire Wednesday morning.

The call came in just before 11 a.m. from 94-146 Awamoku Street. Crews arrived to find a one-story, single-family dwelling engulfed in flames.

“It looks like an old-style, single-wall structure with some vinyl siding on the outside and it went pretty quick,” said battalion chief James Perkins. “Our first arriving company was on the road, so he responded from a location that’s closer than the station.”

Fire officials said three adults were home at the time of the fire and were able to evacuate without injury.

Firefighters brought the fire under control at 11:23 a.m. and fully extinguished it by noon.

Damage is still being evaluated, however the home is considered a total loss. Nine people were displaced.

While the family is grateful to be alive, the reality of losing their belongings is devastating.

“I’m lost of words and I don’t know what we going do now. Everything we own is in the house and it’s gone,” said resident Louise Perreira.

Perreira’s not just talking about clothes and basic necessities. The fire destroyed medical needs for her aunt.

“She has cancer and what we really need right now is her cancer equipment. Everything she needs, bags, her pain medicines and stuff like that,” she said.

Fire officials determined the cause to be unattended cooking in the kitchen.

“I know if I was home, I would probably save the house. I would’ve smelled it right away,” Perreira said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family of nine: four adult males, four adult females and a two-year old girl.

Damage was estimated at $240,000 for the structure and $25,000 for its contents. Two neighboring structures and a parked vehicle also received a total of $11,000 of fire damage.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories