Juvenile suspect charged with murder, will be tried as an adult


The suspect in the murder of a Marine in Waikiki has been charged, and will be tried as an adult.

Sgt. William M. Brown was stabbed at around 1 a.m. on Oct. 21, 2017, at the corner of Kalakaua and Royal Hawaiian avenues.

Police say there was an argument between two groups of people that got physical. The 23-year-old was hospitalized with multiple stab wounds and later died.

Police initially detained an adult male and eight juveniles, all in their teens.

The suspect, who was 16 years old at the time, was arrested and subsequently charged with second-degree murder.

Because the suspect is a juvenile, few details were released on the case.

On Oct. 2, 2018, a hearing was held at Kapolei Family Court, in which the decision was made to “have the juvenile waived as an adult.”

The suspect, now 17 years old, was taken into custody and re-arrested by Honolulu police.

He was charged Thursday, and his bail was set at $500,000.

The victim’s mother, Betty E. Reese, released the following statement:

“Sergeant William Michael Brown was killed on October 21, 2017. Sadly, it has taken Hawaii’s Justice System nearly a year to decide to move forward on whether or not the person responsible for his death will have a trial. It has taken nearly a year for Sgt. Brown’s family and friends to find out if his killer will be brought to justice.

“Despite the long wait, I am grateful that he will be tried as an adult and that his identity will finally be released. I am praying for a trial, conviction, and sentencing to the fullest extent of the law. It would be my preference that no plea deals be offered or accepted.

“Though nothing can return my son to me, I am hopeful that his killer will receive an appropriate sentence for taking the life of a young man who was trying to protect his friend from being assaulted.

The family of Sergeant William Michael Brown wishes to express our disappointment in what has been a long and disheartening process that should have been carried out expediently and our hope that this process will result in a satisfactory conclusion that will provide our family and Mike’s friends with closure and peace of mind.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories