Judge denies separate trials for Kealohas in case involving bank fraud, identity theft, obstruction

News

A federal judge denied Friday a request by former chief of police Louis Kealoha to have a separate trial from his deputy prosecutor wife, Katherine.

Both face eight counts of bank fraud, while Katherine Kealoha was also indicted for identity theft and obstruction of justice.

Louis Kealoha’s attorney filed a motion last month, arguing that those other charges will taint the jury if they are tried together.

“What I was concerned about is the danger of having a spillover effect of having evidence against one defendant spill over to another defendant unfairly,” said Rustam Barbee, Louis Kealoha’s attorney.

Judge J. Michael Seabright disagreed. He said he will give the jury clear instructions so they are not prejudiced by the additional charges.

This specific set of charges stems from accusations that money was taken from two people who were under Katherine Kealoha’s guardianship when they were children.

A separate trial will be held for charges related to conspiracy surrounding the alleged theft of the Kealohas’ mailbox in 2013.

Related Stories: https://www.khon2.com/kealoha

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories