TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — More than 400 people, many of them seriously burned, remained in hospitals Sunday after a fire spread into a crowd of spectators at a music party at a Taiwan water park, authorities said.
The fire late Saturday was sparked by an accidental explosion of a colored theatrical powder thrown from the stage in front of about 1,000 people, the local fire agency and media said. The powder for the one-time event called “Color Play Asia” ignited along the ground, mainly burning people’s lower bodies, said Wang Wei-sheng, a liaison with the New Taipei City fire department command center.
President Ma Ying-jeou visited burns victims at a hospital in Taipei on Sunday afternoon and said authorities would do their best to ensure victims receive “the best medical care” and find out who was responsible for the “tragic incident.”
Taiwan’s Central News Agency said that police were questioning two park workers who had launched the powder as well as the party’s on-site organizer and two technicians. They may face charges of professional negligence causing serious injuries and endangering the public, it said.
AP writer Louise Watt in Beijing contributed to this report.