Both the House and Senate of the Hawaii State Legislature have announced leadership ahead of the 2017 Legislative session.
On Monday, Nov. 14, the Hawaii House of Representatives Majority Caucus met to reaffirm Rep. Joseph M. Souki as Speaker.
Speaker Souki was re-elected as Speaker of the House in January 2013. He previously served as Speaker from 1993 to 1999, and Speaker Emeritus from 2000 to 2013. He also served as Chair of the Committee on Finance, and most recently as Chair of the Committee on Transportation.
The 2017 House leadership team includes:
- Speaker: Joseph M. Souki
- Speaker Emeritus: Calvin K.Y. Say
- Vice Speaker: John M. Mizuno
- Majority Leader: Scott K. Saiki
- Majority Floor Leader: Cindy Evans
- Majority Whip: Ken Ito
- Majority Policy Leader: Marcus R. Oshiro
- Assistant Majority Leader: Roy M. Takumi, Chris Lee, Dee Morikawa
The Hawaii State Senate announced Thursday, Nov. 10, new positions in leadership and key standing committee chairs.
“These changes we are making reflect the experience and expertise our Senators bring to this legislative body,” said Senate Majority Leader J. Kalani English. “The new alignment within leadership and our committees will continue to make us effective as we do the work of the people.”
Leadership and members in the twelve other Senate Standing Committees will be announced when assignments are confirmed.
- Senate President: Sen. Ronald D. Kouchi
- Senate Vice President: Sen. Michelle N. Kidani
- Senate Majority Leader: Sen. J. Kalani English
- Senate Majority Caucus Leader: Sen. Brickwood Galuteria
- Senate Majority Floor Leader: Sen. Will Espero
- Senate Majority Whip: Sen. Donovan M. Dela Cruz
Senate Committee AssignmentsCommerce, Consumer Protection and Health (CPN)
- Chair: Sen. Rosalyn Baker
- Vice Chair: Sen. Clarence Nishihara
Judiciary and Labor (JDL)
- Chair: Sen. Gilbert S.C. Keith-Agaran
- Vice Chair: Sen. Karl Rhoads
Ways and Means (WAM)
- Chair: Sen. Jill N. Tokuda
- Vice Chair: Sen. Donovan Dela Cruz