Fire investigators determine Makakilo fire was an accident

News
Makakilo_house_fire_6_20190312022819

On March 11, at 1:15 a.m., the Honolulu Fire Department (HFD) responded with seven units staffed with 26 personnel to a building fire in residence #5 of Watercolors at Makakilo located at 92-831 Makakilo Drive.  The first unit arrived at 1:19 a.m. to find a two-story single family residence with smoke emanating from the lower left side of the home.

Personnel established command, secured a water source and commenced with firefighting operations.  The fire was brought under control at 1:28 a.m. and was extinguished at 1:46 a.m. 

It was reported that one adult female and four female children were able to escape the home, however, all four children sustained smoke inhalation and were treated on scene and their care was transferred to Emergency Medical Services at 1:43 a.m.

HFD Investigators have concluded their investigation and have determined that the fire was accidental.  It was determined that the fire was accidentally caused by an unspecified arc in the refrigerator. Fire damages are estimated at $449,000 to the structure and $45,000 to its contents.  No other injuries were reported for this incident. Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants. 

The residence did not have working smoke detectors and it did not have fire sprinklers. The HFD will continue to advocate for fire sprinklers in buildings. It is the most effective way to protect your property and safeguard lives from a fire.  

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories