HONOLULU (KHON2) — Mayor Kirk Caldwell has paused construction of Waimanalo Bay Beach Park or Sherwoods.
It comes after an artifact was reportedly found.
The mayor says an archaeologist and professor he met think it’s actually a lava basalt rock layer.
He says it was sent to the State Historic Preservation Division.
“In an abundance of caution as the mayor we have reported it to SHPD,” said Mayor Caldwell. “We’ll wait to hear what they have to say. I’ve asked our architects both ours and Professor Kirsch to present it and see what they have to say.”
Construction is stalled until their report comes back.
- $15 minimum wage: Where the debate and alternatives stand
- Buffalo Soldiers laid the foundation of what is now Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Following historic performance, Hawaii’s Max Holloway hopes to fight twice more in 2021
- Rep. Sharon Har apologizes to House Chamber days after arrest
- Rainbow Wahine basketball use bye week to reset ahead final four regular season games, starting with Long Beach State