KAHULUI, Hawaii (KHON2) — A local Maui man, known for dressing up as the character “Maui” from the Walt Disney’s movie Moana, has been diagnosed with Moyamoya.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
William Va’ana, better known by many local residents as Uncle Maui, received the diagnosis after he had a stroke in April of 2019.
Since then, has had a procedure done to both sides of his brain and continues to work toward recovery. His family and friends launched a GoFundMe for Va’ana and says he is still in need of neurological medical equipment and other medical necessities.
The Maui resident hopes to get well again and be able to do more “Maui” gigs for the island’s keiki.
To view the GoFundMe, click here.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- UH beach volleyball splits doubleheader with Cal Poly
- Winds remain light but to strengthen
- Hawaii one step closer to vaccine exemption for travelers
- Kahala Hotel & Resort on lockdown after shots fired, suspect barricaded in hotel room
- American Ninja Warrior Jimmy Choi deals with Parkinson’s through strength