Burner sparks early-morning house fire in Moiliili

News

Fire officials say a stove-top burner sparked an early morning fire in Moiliili Wednesday.

The fire broke out just after 3 a.m. at 2275 Date Street, near Isenberg Street, after officials say someone turned on the burner by accident.

Fire officials say when firefighters arrived, they found a duplex home with heavy grey smoke emanating from the rear of the building.

“Two people were home at the time of the fire. They were able to escape the structure before we arrived,” said HFD battalion chief Ken Lee. “Five cats were still inside. We rescued four of the five cats. One cat is still at large.”

Officials say one person suffering minor injuries after escaping out of a window. 

Crews were able to extinguish the fire by 3:16 a.m.

Damage was estimated at $80,000 to structure and $15,000 to contents.

The American Red Cross is assisting residents affected by the fire.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories