HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Department of Public Safety is moving forward with plans for a new OCCC at the animal quarantine station site in Halawa.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Those plans include relocating female offenders from OCCC to the Women’s Community Correctional Center in Kailua to accommodate the additional population.
The state plans to build a new housing unit and administration building, renovate the vacant Hookipa Cottage and support building. It will also improve internal circulation, on-site parking, and the entrance and exit from Kalanianaole Highway.
Construction is slated to begin next year with completion in 2023.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Strong winds forecast for the islands through early next week
- Flu cases down amid COVID-19, doctors warn it could come back worse next year
- Ala Wai flood project more expensive than expected
- Hawaii women’s basketball wins conference home opener over Cal State Fullerton
- Police close Kaukonahua Road following critical traffic accident