WAIPAHU, Honolulu (KHON2) — Waipahu High School received the highest level of national recognition for three career academies on Oct. 20. A total of five academies have been recognized by the National Career Academy Coalition (NCAC), making Waipahu High School a wall-to-wall national model academy school.
LISTEN to Hawaii’s latest news on the go, it’s KHON 2GO
The NCAC recognizes college and career academies that show exemplary performance in the National Standard of Practice (NSOP).
The five Waipahu High School academies being recognized include:
- Academy of Arts & Communication – 2020 National Model Academy
- Academy of Industrial & Engineering Technology – 2020 National Model Academy with Distinction
- Academy of Professional and Public Services – 2020 National Model Academy with Distinction
- Academy of Health & Sciences – 2019 National Model Academy with Distinction
- Academy of Natural Resources – 2019 National Model Academy with Distinction
To reach the highest level of recognition — the model with distinction level — an academy must meet or exceed proficiency in all 10 areas noted in the NSOP.
Waipahu High School Principal Keith Hayashi says his school remains focused on preparing students for a future in Hawaii’s workforce.
“We are committed to preparing our students for Hawaii’s high skill, high wage, in-demand, and future-focused workforce through learning experiences, college dual credit offerings, industry internships and certifications,” Principal Hayashi said.
Waipahu High School offers 23 Career Technical Education programs and features an Early College program.
To learn more about the NCAC, click here.