LIHUE, Hawaii – A Utah man who arrived in Kauai on Dec. 28 has been arrested again for violating the state’s 10-day travel quarantine.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Kauai police say the man, identified as 50-year-old David Barnes, first arrived at Lihue airport in late December, when he was instructed to quarantine. Officials say Barnes left the airport, and instead of going straight to his designated quarantine location, he apparently stopped at Costco Wholesale to “shop.”
The man was arrested and released after posting $1,000 bail.
Upon his release, Barnes checked in to the Kauai Inn. However, additional reports of quarantine violations led to his second arrest on Jan. 5. KPD says the Utah resident was arrested for three more counts of violating the Governor and Mayor’s Emergency Rules, and one count of simple trespass.
He is currently being held at the Kauai Community Correction Center on $11,000 bail.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Flash flood watch in place for all islands through Tuesday
- East Honolulu residents call Monday flood similar to 2018
- Maui woman dies after car swerves off cliff on Kahekili Highway
- CVS completes first round of COVID-19 vaccines at Hawaii’s long-term care facilities
- Gov. Ige pushes for more investment in digital technology