Unattended cooking sparks fire in Moiliili apartment building

Local News

Fire officials say a blaze that heavily damaged a two-story apartment building in Moiliili was sparked by unattended cooking.

On Aug. 28, at 1:33 a.m., the Honolulu Fire Department responded with 11 units staffed with 43 personnel to a building fire located at 713 Hausten Street.

Crews arrived to find the second floor fully involved with fire.

The fire was brought under control at 2:18 a.m. and fully extinguished at 3 a.m.

Three families with a total of 12 occupants were alerted to the fire and managed to escape, officials said. No one was hurt. They are currently being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Hawaiian Electric responded to secure power to the structure.

Damages are estimated to be $798,000 to the structure and $30,000 to its contents. The total property loss for this incident is estimated at $828,000.

According to the HFD, cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and the second most frequent cause of death among the elderly.  

Turn off the heat if you must leave the stove, even if only for a few minutes, and do not leave cooking unattended, fire officials say.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories