Unattended candle suspected cause for Kauai fire

Local News

An unattended candle may have been the cause of a fire Saturday night that resulted in $70,000 in damages to a two-story Kilauea residence on Kauai.

No one was at home when the fire broke out.

The fire was reported to authorities at approximately 9:40 p.m. when a neighbor heard the fire alarm and smelled smoke. He then proceeded to turn off a propane tank and electricity to the home.

Firefighters from the Hanalei, Kaiakea, Kapa’a and Lihue fire stations, along with rescue specialists and a battalion chief, responded to the fire.

The crews entered the home and put out the fire, which was deemed fully extinguished at 10:25 p.m.

The firefighters also ventilated the home to prevent further smoke damage.

Fire inspectors are continuing their investigation.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories