An accident in Wahiawa sent two men to the hospital. They were both shocked when their work truck hit an overhead power line. 

They were doing drilling work on Puu Place when part of their drill hit the lines above. We’re still waiting to hear back from the company the two men worked for.

Nearby residents say it happened at about one o’clock. 

They heard drilling for about 20 minutes and then heard somebody calling for help.

“We heard the sirens, fireman and then about four or five policemen came in, and that’s when we came out and looked,” said Feli Bumanglag, a nearby resident. “My daughter-in-law said she saw one guy lying down, and they put in a tarp.”

According to Emergency Medical Services, a 43-year-old man was taken to the hospital in critical condition, and a 33-year-old man was taken in serious condition.

Experts say when it comes to treating electric shock, the first few minutes are the most critical.

“If the person is not breathing, if they lost consciousness or if they don’t have a pulse, it is really important to start CPR right away because any time the brain is not getting oxygen, this can lead to further damage,” said Rupal Gohill, M.D. also known as Dr. Rupie. 

She says if you see someone get shocked, first stop the electricity at the power source.

She also recommends not touching the person who’s been shocked if they’re still connected with the electric current. She recommends use non-conductive items like wood to move them if you need to.

Call 911 and do not move the person if they are no longer being shocked or are not in danger.

Finally, check for a pulse or no breathing, then start CPR until help arrives.

“It really depends on the severity or the intensity of the electrical impulse or the electrical charge and also the pathway of the electrical impulse, where exactly it’s going through your body,” said Gohill.

She says the initial shock is the most dangerous time, but if a person is able to survive that, she says there’s a fair chance of them recovering.