HONOLULU (KHON2) — The trolley driver involved in a deadly pedestrian crash in Kakaako back in November 2018 changed his plea to no contest on Wednesday morning, July 1.
Fifty-four-year-old David Kmetz was charged with first-degree negligent homicide.
Prosecutors say that in 2019, Kmetz was driving while under the influence when he struck and killed 76-year-old Ernest Urata on Cooke Street. Police say that Kmetz had a bottle of alcohol on him, and showed signs of being drunk.
He faces up to 10 years in prison. He will be sentenced on September 25.
THE LATEST ON KHON2
- Rep. Sharon Har apologizes to House Chamber days after arrest
- Rainbow Wahine basketball use bye week to reset ahead final four regular season games, starting with Long Beach State
- Tom Vilsack confirmed as agriculture secretary again
- Apply for the 70th Cherry Blossom Festival
- GOP lawmakers: Schools can reopen with no additional funds from Congress