UPDATE: A woman is dead and a man is in critical condition following a pedestrian crash on Nimitz Highway.
It happened just before 9:00 p.m. Monday night at the intersection of Nimitz Highway and Sumner Street.
Police say the 50-year-old woman was crossing Nimitz – in a marked crosswalk – when the motorcyclist hit her while trying to overtake two vehicles that had stopped.
Police say the motorcyclist, landed in the road.
He was not wearing a helmet.
The pedestrian was taken to the hospital in critical condition, where she later died.
The motorcyclist remains in critical condition.
Police tell us speed appears to be a factor.
This is the 10th traffic fatality of the year, compared to 13 at the same time last year.
HONOLULU (KHON2) — Police say all lanes westbound of Nimitz Highway are closed near 500 N. Nimitz by Ross Iwilei.
The accident happened around 9 p.m.
EMS officials say a female pedestrian was hit by a motorcycle at a high rate of speed and thrown about 100 feet.
The male driver of the motorcycle struck a sign post after hitting the pedestrian and was thrown off his motorcycle.
Both were treated and transported in critical condition to the trauma center.
- Flash flood watch issued for Kauai and Oahu
- Police charge man suspected of stabbing woman and her child to death in Ewa Beach
- State DOE looking to modify high school graduation requirements
- City working to open a medical, quarantine center for homeless
- City’s parking exceptions now in effect