HONOLULU (KHON2) — A man has died from injuries which he sustained in a motorcycle crash Saturday, November 16 on Highway 19 near the 26-mile marker in Laupahoehoe.
The motorcyclist has been identified as 49-year-old Vincent L. Pereira Jr., of Mt. View.
Responding to a 3:41 p.m. call, police determined that Pereira was operating a 2000 Harley Davidson motorcycle south on Highway 19 when he crossed over the double solid yellow line and struck a guard rail.
Pereira sustained critical injuries from the collision and was taken to the Hilo Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on November 16, 2019 at 6:47 p.m.
An autopsy has been ordered to determine the exact cause of death.
The Traffic Enforcement Unit has initiated a Coroner’s Inquest investigation and is asking for anyone who may have witnessed the crash to contact Officer Jared Cabatu at 961-2339.
This is the 20th traffic fatality this year compared to 27 at this time last year.
- James Pond the duck up for adoption at Maui Humane Society
- Light trades for the islands through Friday
- Lawmakers question whether more contact tracers are needed as more cases linked to clusters found
- Hawaii’s massive unemployed population dependent on soon-expiring federal assistance
- Honolulu Zoo names twin lemurs after local comedians