HONOLULU (KHON2) — On Kauai, tiny crabs washed ashore last Friday.
The state land department says they’re called megalops, and are the larval stage of crabs.
These creatures float around until they’re large enough to settle onto the ocean floor.
Officials believe a large current brought them to shore.
They say it doesn’t happen very often, but it’s not unnatural.
A similar event happened on Oahu in 2017.
They provide a nice meal for birds.
- July 3: Incoming passenger count bumped up to 2,813, total 25 flights landed
- Need a recipe to cook up this Fourth of July? Foodland Farms offers tips!
- California enters July 4 weekend with many beaches closed
- Seniors moved into a new affordable housing complex in Kahului
- Willie Nelson’s July Fourth picnic is virtual in virus era