HONOLULU (KHON2) — Two people are dead after they were found unresponsive in Oahu waters on Sept. 19.
Get news on the go with KHON 2GO, KHON’s morning podcast, every morning at 8
Just after 1 p.m. on Saturday at Kaimana Beach, located in Waikiki, Ocean Safety responded to a local 72-year-old man in the water. He was found face down. Responders brought him to shore and tried to revive him.
Paramedics arrived on the scene and then transported him to an emergency room in critical condition where he later died. The medical examiner identified him as Wayne Matsukawa of Honolulu.
Hours later nearby on the ewa side of Magic Island, a 911 call came in for an unresponsive female swimmer at 4 p.m.
Responders rescued the woman, whose age is unknown, from the water. They tried to perform CPR on her when they were on the shore.
Emergency Medical Services arrived at the scene and took over their efforts but they were not able to revive her.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Both of their deaths are still under investigation.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Is polio spreading again? Virus detected in NYC’s sewage
- Author Salman Rushdie attacked on stage in New York
- Anne Heche ‘not expected to survive’ after car crash, rep says
- Florida teacher quits after staff removed posters of Black leaders
- New DOT rule could make air travel less hellish: How it could help you