In order to reduce traffic congestion, the state is making changes to its High Occupany Vehicle (HOV) lane.
They include extending HOV hours for specific routes and allowing single-occupancy vehicles in others.
The new schedule will begin Monday, June 27.
Lane hours are being extended 30 minutes for the following routes:
- H-1 Freeway eastbound (HOV, Waiawa Interchange to Keehi Interchange)
- H-1 Freeway eastbound (Zip lane, Managers Drive overpass to Keehi Interchange)
- H-1 Freeway eastbound (shoulder express lane – extension of contraflow express lane/ Zip lane, Pearl Harbor Interchange to Keehi Interchange)
- Nimitz Highway eastbound (HOV and contraflow, Keehi Interchange to Industrial Parkway)
- H-2 Freeway southbound (HOV, Mililani Interchange to Waiawa Interchange)
New HOV lane hour durations for these routes will be from 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Mondays through Fridays, excluding holidays. The double-occupancy restriction previously ended at 8:30 a.m.
The purpose of the extension of HOV and contraflow lane hours is to encourage ridesharing, which helps reduce traffic congestion by moving more people in fewer cars. Carpools align with the State’s focus on sustainability and reducing fossil fuel usage.
Crews will be adjusting signs to reflect the new hours. HDOT reminds motorists that use of these lanes requires two or more occupants in their vehicle during the designated times. Single motorists, with the exception of motorcyclists and qualified Electric Vehicles, using the Zip lane, HOV, express, or contraflow lanes may be cited by authorities. The penalty for illegal use of the HOV lane can range from $75 to $200.
The double occupancy restriction is being lifted during the afternoon hours for the following routes:
- H-1 eastbound (Waiawa Interchange to Keehi Interchange)
- H-2 southbound (Mililani Interchange to Waiawa Interchange)
- H-201 Moanalua Freeway eastbound (Halawa Interchange to Puuloa Road)
Single occupancy vehicles will be allowed on these specifically referenced routes beginning June 27. Previously HOV hours on these roadways went from 3:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.