In six of the nine officer-involved shootings this year, the suspect was killed. In nearly all of the cases the suspect had previous run-ins with the law.
The first officer-involved shooting of the year happened at the end of January in Kalihi; the suspect had 12 prior convictions. In February, police shot and killed a man near the Mililani Walmart; he was out on supervised release. In July, police shot a man who was out on parole following a conviction for attempted murder. And in November, a suspect believed to be linked to a rash of crimes on Oahu was killed in Kapolei.
- Mother, sister likely starved after caretaker choked to death, police say
- Hawaii’s Kamu Grugier-Hill inactive for Texans on Thursday Night Football with knee injury
- Officials investigating ‘unprecedented number’ of monk seal deaths on Molokai
- Inside Look at government sausage making
- What is Sexual Harassment?