In six of the nine officer-involved shootings this year, the suspect was killed. In nearly all of the cases the suspect had previous run-ins with the law.
The first officer-involved shooting of the year happened at the end of January in Kalihi; the suspect had 12 prior convictions. In February, police shot and killed a man near the Mililani Walmart; he was out on supervised release. In July, police shot a man who was out on parole following a conviction for attempted murder. And in November, a suspect believed to be linked to a rash of crimes on Oahu was killed in Kapolei.
- USDA extends free school meals through June 2022
- DC statehood approved by House in party line vote; faces long odds in Senate
- 40 scuba divers set to complete underwater cleanup at Magic Island
- President Biden pledges to cut US fossil fuel emissions up to 52% by 2030
- Lululemon is launching a resale program to promote sustainability