In six of the nine officer-involved shootings this year, the suspect was killed. In nearly all of the cases the suspect had previous run-ins with the law.
The first officer-involved shooting of the year happened at the end of January in Kalihi; the suspect had 12 prior convictions. In February, police shot and killed a man near the Mililani Walmart; he was out on supervised release. In July, police shot a man who was out on parole following a conviction for attempted murder. And in November, a suspect believed to be linked to a rash of crimes on Oahu was killed in Kapolei.
- Federal agency renews call for speed limit software in new cars
- Heavy rain with Kona Low; flooding possible
- House GOP lawmakers who flouted chamber’s mask rule take legal fight to Supreme Court
- Young kitten with ‘severely deformed’ legs looking for forever home
- Live: Tribute service for former first lady Rosalynn Carter