PUAKO, Hawaii (KHON2) — A woman snorkeling at Puako Beach was apparently bitten by a shark on the Big Island.
It happened on Sunday, Sept. 6 in the afternoon.
Officials say the 70-year-old woman told rescuers she was snorkeling in 10 feet of water when was bitten in the left ankle by an 8-foot shark.
She was able to make it back to shore on her own, and an off-duty lifeguard helped with the bleeding until EMS arrived.
A fire crew did a flyover and didn’t see the shark.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Heavy rain threat diminishing by early Wednesday
- Visitor to Diamond Head tragedy home says she tried to help, but laws prevented agencies from helping
- Families of fallen officers grieve one year anniversary of Diamond Head tragedy
- Hawaii nursing homes COVID-19 cases low compared to national numbers
- Some local retailers turn focus to online sales in 2021 as COVID-19 pandemic continues