SCHOFIELD BARRACKS, Hawaii (KHON2) — A Schofield Barracks man has been arrested and charged with manslaughter after an autopsy found the death of his infant in October, 2020, was caused by “multiple traumatic injuries.”
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Court documents reveal on Friday, Oct. 2, 2020, Honolulu police officers responded to a call for an unresponsive 4-month-old baby.
The father of the child — 20-year-old Elias Vargas — told officers that he was feeding his baby when she began to choke.
An autopsy conducted in January, 2021, found that the infant “died as a result of multiple abusive traumatic injuries, which primarily include abusive head trauma.” The 4-month-old also had healing rib fractures, according to the autopsy.
Vargas was arrested and charged during the afternoon of Tuesday, Jan. 12, and remains in custody on $300,000 bail.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Flash flood watch in place for all islands through Tuesday
- East Honolulu residents call Monday flood similar to 2018
- Maui woman dies after car swerves off cliff on Kahekili Highway
- CVS completes first round of COVID-19 vaccines at Hawaii’s long-term care facilities
- Gov. Ige pushes for more investment in digital technology