HONOLULU (KHON2) — Sandwich Isles Communications and founder Albert Hee are being fined more than $49 million by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
The FCC says the company made false claims, collecting money meant to provide telecom services to people on Hawaiian homelands.
In 2015, a federal jury found Hee guilty of fraud and making false statements for spending FCC funds on personal expenses, including personal massages and travel.
Hee was sentenced to nearly four years in prison and was released last September.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Live blog: Hawaii at Wyoming
- Hawaii inmate dies at Saguaro Correctional Center
- State launches online tip portal to report unlicensed activity
- Free COVID-19 testing available on Hilo Monday
- Coffee leaf rust confirmed on Maui, possibly on Big Island