HONOLULU (KHON2) — A city agency heard hours of testimony today about a massive proposed seawall project at a Waimanalo property.
Get news on the go with KHON 2GO, KHON’s morning podcast, every morning at 8
The property was made famous in episodes of Magnum P.I., and now its existing seawall is in disrepair.
The new owner, a company under former President Obama’s friend Marty Nesbitt, seeks to build an 11-foot-high wall that is 225 feet long along with an ocean access platform and stairs.
Nearby property owners and others testified that the existing wall already caused a loss of what was once a continuous beach, and that any expansion along with sea level rise will make it worse.
The agency has 45 days to make a decision, and if the variance is granted, the landowner can then apply for a building permit.
- Eight Republicans who could challenge Trump in 2024
- Changes to expect in your child’s school lunches under new USDA nutrition standards
- Hawaiʻi embraces diversity in 2023 legislative session
- ‘Iolani wins HHSAA Division I girls basketball championship
- Controversial military fencing project being relocated