Public meeting will preview Kalanianaole Hwy. work in Waimanalo

Local News
kalanianaole highway olomana_146053

Waimanalo residents will get the chance to sound off on a potentially noisy construction project.

Next week the Hawaii Department of Transportation will hold a meeting to inform the public prior to the start of construction work on the Kalanianaole Highway in Waimanalo. Work will take place between Olomana Golf Course and the vicinity of Poalima Street.

Officials will also conduct noise variance consultation on proposed changes to the project’s noise variance. We’ve been telling you since last July that the state has been seeking a noise variance permit so it can conduct work at night.

Improvements will include roadway resurfacing and reconstruction, left turn lanes at Flamingo Road, Kumuhau and Humuniki streets, sidewalks and curb ramps on the mauka-side of the highway meeting compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), bicycle route improvements, utility upgrades and drainage improvements. Areas along Kalanianaole Highway that do not have concrete sidewalks will have a paved shoulder.

The project is expected to cost $9.4 million with 80 percent funded by the federal government and the remaining 20 percent funded by HDOT.

The meeting will take place Tuesday, March 8, 6-8 p.m. at Waimanalo Public and School Library, 41-1320 Kalanianaole Highway.

To request an auxiliary aid or service (e.g., sign language, interpreter, specific language interpreter, designated parking, and materials in alternate format) contact Mung Fa Chung at (808) 692-7545, or TTY (808) 587-2210 by March 7.

Click here for more information.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories