WAILUKU, Hawaii (KHON2) — Police are asking the public’s help regarding the whereabouts of an escaped male prisoner from Maui Community Correction Center on Aug. 27.
According to a preliminary report from the Department of Public Safety, 27-year-old John Kahalehoe escaped from Dorm 2. He scaled the fence and ran into a cemetery, which is located next to the facility.
It happened around 7:10 p.m.
Staff chased Kahalehoe through the cemetery but lost sight of him in a construction area. Maui Police were called to assist in the search.
A lockdown was ordered for Dorm 2 during the search and it was later lifted at 8:25 p.m.
Maui police say that he was last seen wearing a brown shirt and orange pants.
PSD officials describe Kahalehoe as five feet and six inches tall. He weighs around 150 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes.
Kahelehoe is a pre-trial detainee and is awaiting trial for Unauthorized Entry into a Motor Vehicle, Theft 2, Theft 3 Burglary 1, Promotion of a Dangerous Drug, Credit Card Forgery, and Criminal Property Damage.
Kahalehoe faces an escape charge when found.
Police ask that you do not approach him. If you see him, call 911.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- New beach could come to Waikiki as part of improvement and maintenance proposal
- Light trade winds for the islands through Friday
- Hardworking Hawaii: Kaya’s Store in Punalu’u celebrates 75 years in business
- Maui home energy financial assistance deadline is June 30
- Search for missing diver continues on Kauai’s westside