WAILUKU, Hawaii (KHON2) — Police are asking the public’s help regarding the whereabouts of an escaped male prisoner from Maui Community Correction Center on Aug. 27.
According to a preliminary report from the Department of Public Safety, 27-year-old John Kahalehoe escaped from Dorm 2. He scaled the fence and ran into a cemetery, which is located next to the facility.
It happened around 7:10 p.m.
Staff chased Kahalehoe through the cemetery but lost sight of him in a construction area. Maui Police were called to assist in the search.
A lockdown was ordered for Dorm 2 during the search and it was later lifted at 8:25 p.m.
Maui police say that he was last seen wearing a brown shirt and orange pants.
PSD officials describe Kahalehoe as five feet and six inches tall. He weighs around 150 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes.
Kahelehoe is a pre-trial detainee and is awaiting trial for Unauthorized Entry into a Motor Vehicle, Theft 2, Theft 3 Burglary 1, Promotion of a Dangerous Drug, Credit Card Forgery, and Criminal Property Damage.
Kahalehoe faces an escape charge when found.
Police ask that you do not approach him. If you see him, call 911.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Drinking Water Made from the Air — Waiea Water Solutions
- Ginni Thomas urged Arizona lawmakers to help overturn Biden win, emails show
- Mountain West to eliminate divisions in football, starting in 2023
- Waikiki’s first and only outdoor beer garden opens
- Archbishop bars Pelosi from communion over support for abortion rights