HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Honolulu medical examiner identified the pedestrian who died on Kalanianaole Highway in the Aina Haina area.
According to the Honolulu Police Department, 60-year-old Ruth Kamai was crossing Kalanianaole Highway when she was struck by a Lexus four-door sedan that was driven by a 76-year-old man. This happened just before 5 a.m. on Friday.
Kamai suffered head injuries and she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Upon further investigation, officials said that Kamai was not in a crosswalk at the time of the collision. Police added that the driver was not speeding or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Following the crash, Kalanianaole Highway by Ainakoa Avenue was temporarily closed.
This is the 44th traffic fatality of 2020.
CORRECTION: This story has been updated to reflect that, after clarification from HPD, the pedestrian that was fatally struck by a vehicle on Kalanianaole Hwy. was 60 years old. It was previously stated that the pedestrian was a female in her 50’s.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Service outage reported in Kapolei
- PHOTOS: Where did it come from? Mysterious monolith discovered in remote area of Utah
- GSA recognizes president-elect Biden, clearing way for formal transition
- White House kicks off holiday season welcoming official tree
- Breezy trade winds will continue into Tuesday